Saturday, October 25, 2014

Finding Christ in... Phillip Phillips!


So last night, I went to go see Phillip Phillips here in the BoZone... I was supposed to go with my sister Paige but my Dad didn't get the flight tickets when I told him to (months ago...) and Paige got sick this week anyway, but since I didn't want to waist the money I spent (and because I like Phillips anyway), I still went. It was awesome.

Oddly enough, before I left I prayed that somehow the Lord would be glorified through the concert, not really expecting this to be the case. Well, He can use anybody can't he? There are multiple Phillips songs that I have figured you could make a case to them being about the Lord, about the Christian walk, etc. Now, I wouldn't go so far as to say that this was intentional, I don't know if Phillips is saved or not, but it's certainly interesting the terminology that he uses in some of his songs. "Unpack Your Heart" is a great example but I'm actually not going to be looking at that song today. The two songs I'm going to be looking at are "Home" (his most popular) and "Raging Fire".

Here are the lyrics to "Home":
Hold on, to me as we go
As we roll down this unfamiliar road
And although this wave is stringing us along
Just know you're not alone
Cause I'm going to make this place your home

Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found

Just know you're not alone
Cause I'm going to make this place your home

Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found
Just know you're not alone
Cause I'm going to make this place your home

Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found
Just know you're not alone
Cause I'm going to make this place your home
The beginning of this song is pretty straight forward. It's telling us that He is with us always, especially on the "unfamiliar" straight-and-narrow road we as believers walk with Him. Joshua 1:9 says it pretty well when He tells us to be strong and courageous because He is with us always. Proverbs 3:5-6 tells us to trust in Him always and He will direct our path. Romans 8:38-39 reminds us that neither powers or principalities, nor angels or demons, nor men can separate us from God's love for us. Psalm 23:4 reminds us that even though we walk through the "valley of the shadow of death" (sound like an unfamiliar road to anyone else?) that He is with us and we are to fear no evil. This is only the first three lines of the song...

Next he talks about making *this place* our home... What does this mean? Well, I can't tell you what Phillips intended it to mean, but here's what I think of it... I think this is in reference to what Jesus told His disciples while He was here on Earth and what, in turn, He tells us as believers. In John 14:1-3, He tells us that His Father's House (Heaven) has MANY rooms and that when He returns to where He came from, He's going to be preparing a place for us. Pretty cool huh? That's five lines.

"Settle down, it'll all be clear". This is a good line. I think the Gospel is pretty clear. Jesus says in John 14:6 that He is THE Way, THE Truth, and THE Life. He's the ONLY way! I think this line also refers to the Lord not wanting us to worry about the future, but live right now (Matthew 6:34). 2 Corinthians 4:6 also tells us that He will use the Light to shine out the Darkness to give the "Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ". Pretty clear? Six lines in...

"Don't pay no mind to the demons, they fill you with fear." Demons are evil! I think that's pretty self-explanatory. The fact that he uses the word DEMONS here is very interesting and it's not the only song he talks about evil spirits that drag us down in. Jesus has a lot to say about demons and overcoming them, Luke 10:19 being a huge one. James 4:7 says that if we submit ourselves to God, the Devil WILL flee from us. Luke 10:17 tells us that the demons submit when commanded to in the name of Jesus. Fear is a weapon of the enemy, and if you're afraid, it's most likely a demon of some sorts, the song is spot-on there! Eight lines.

"The trouble it might drag you down, if you get lost you can always be found." I think of the Prodigal Son here. He was in a TON of trouble and got himself into it, it was completely his fault, yet when the father saw him (found him), he ran to him with joy. Satan likes to put us on different paths than the one we are called to walk, but with Christ as our source of strength, guidance, wisdom, and discernment, we cannot fail, not because we can overcome the Enemy, but because Christ has already overcome the world (John 16:33). These are the last new lines in the song, so that's about it for "Home", but now let's look at "Raging Fire"...

"Raging Fire" lyrics:
We are dead to rights born and raised
We are thick and thin 'til our last days
So hold me close and I'll surrender to your heart
You know how to give and how to take
You see every hope I locked away
So pull me close and surrender to my heart

Before the flame goes out tonight
Yeah, we'll live until we die

So come out, come out, come out
Won't you turn my soul into a raging fire?
Come out, come out, come out
'Til we lose control into a raging fire
Into a raging fire
Come out, come out, come out
Won't you turn my soul into a raging fire?

You know time will give and time will take
All the memories made will wash away
Even though we've changed, I'm still here with you
If you listen close, you'll hear the sound
Of all the ghosts that bring us down
Hold on to what makes you feel
Don't let go, it's what makes you real

If the flame goes out tonight
Yeah, we'll live until we die

So come out, come out, come out
Won't you turn my soul into a raging fire?
Come out, come out, come out
'Til we lose control into a raging fire
Into a raging fire
Come out, come out, come out
Won't you turn my soul into a raging fire?

Let the world leave us behind,
Let your heart be next to mine
Before the flame goes out tonight,
We can live until we die

Come out, come out, come out
Won't you turn my soul into a raging fire?

Come out, come out, come out
Won't you turn my soul into a raging fire?
Come out, come out, come out
'Til we lose control into a raging fire
Into a raging fire

The beginning line is obviously in reference to the fall of man in Genesis 3 as we are now born into sin. This is pretty straight-forward. In the next few lines I'm reminded of Job 1:21 where Job reminds us that the Lord gives and takes away, this is something people don't like but is so true. Job 11:13-20 also tells us that we need to surrender our hearts and wills to the Lord because He's not only worthy but is the only one who can save us. It's a pretty neat passage.

"When the flame goes out tonight, yeah we'll live until we die." This is a good line because Philippians 1:21 (ha, Phillip...) tells us that in living for Christ, death is gain. I know this isn't a DIRECT correlation, but it was the first thing that came to my mind when I heard that lyric.

The chorus is pretty good, this is actually what sold me on the song. Turning our heart into a raging fire! This is actually a continuous prayer of mine as I feel like my heart is dull to the Lord quite often. Colossians 3:23-24 tells us that whatever we do, we must do it with all our heart for the Lord. Psalm 37:4 reminds us that if we delight in the Lord, He'll give us the desires of our heart (that is, if our heart is changed for His glory). In Romans 12:2, we are told to transform our hearts into the Lord's good, pleasing, and perfect will. We can't do this on our own, he have to do this with HIS help! Psalm 51:10 says, "Create in me a pure heart O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me."

The first half of the next verse talks about change, and that even through it "I'm still here with you". I'm of the mindset that this first half of the verse is from God to us. Daniel 2:21 says that He is in control and changes times and seasons, however, as Hebrews 13:8 points out, Jesus Christ is ALWAYS the same. How awesome is that?!?! Ecclesiastes 3:1 reminds us too that there's a time and a season for everything.

The second half of this verse talks about the "ghosts" that bring us down but that we need to hold onto what makes us feel and real. The "ghosts" are obviously a reference to demons as we remember 1 Samuel 28 where King Saul tried to contact the dead Samuel and instead came in contact with a demon pretending to be the deceased prophet. This goes back to our talk about demons from "Home" above. However, in this verse, we're told to hold onto something else to keep these "ghosts" from getting to us... That is most obviously Jesus Himself. Proverbs 18:10 tells us that the name of the Lord is a strong and mighty tower and that we can find refuge and sanctuary with him. Exodus 25:8 is all about the Lord telling us to make Him a sanctuary so He can dwell with us, and because of Jesus' death on the cross WE are now that sanctuary(1 Corinthians 6:19)! Cool right?

After the next bridge and chorus, there's an added line or two to the returning bridge, it says, "Let the world leave us behind, let your heart beat next to mine." Good line, really good actually because Jesus actually said in Mark 13:12-13 that everyone will hate us because of HIS name. We are in the world, but we as Christians are not to be of the world (John 15:19, 17:16). Instead, we are called to conform our hearts and minds to that of Christ (Romans 12:1-2), and believe me, it's a LOT harder than it sounds.

So that's my little analysis of Phillip Phillips' songs that I believe actually point to Christ, on some level. I would've loved to analyze "Gone, Gone, Gone" as well, because that's my favorite Phillips song, but outside of some of the verses I couldn't make strong enough biblical connections to the whole song. Sad day. Anyway, I wanted to share this with you all because I went to the concert last night expecting nothing but just having a good time, yet the Lord worked in my heart and reminded me of who He was through it. I just love it when He does that! Not to mention this blog is called "Finding Christ in My Life"... It would be a disservice to this blog if I didn't look for the biblical connections in my everyday life, through school, entertainment, and just, well, EVERYTHING! I hope you guys enjoyed this post and please check out some of Phillip Phillips' music, he's really talented and he's a lot of fun to watch in concert!

No comments:

Post a Comment